“Cakes are special. Every birthday, every celebration ends with something sweet, a cake, and people remember. It’s all about the memories”
There is no celebration which is complete without a cake, and undoubtedly it is one of the best parts of the party. If you are planning to throw a birthday party, you think about decorations and cake, and then you take it forward from there. While choosing a cake there are so many things which need to be looked into like flavour, design, weight, and most importantly- type.
What type of cake does one select- Fondant cake or cream cake? The type of icing on the cake plays an important role in the design of the cake.
Fondant Vs Cream Cakes
When it’s about choosing between the two, it can be tricky. White fondant cakes are more intricately designer cakes, cream cakes have had our heart since the beginning of time. So here are the pros and cons of both.
What is Fondant Icing?
Fondant Icing of a cake is a play dough like sugar paste. It is made with a mix of glucose, sugar, and gelatin. It has a very smooth & silky texture and can be rolled out on the cake or sculpted cake. Fondant cakes can be used to give the cake a smooth finishing and for making sculptures on the cake. To change the colour of the fondant usually, food colour or artificial flavour is added.
Pros of Fondant Cake:
- Fondant cakes have a super smooth & silky finishing.
- It can be used to make sculptures and intricate designs.
- Really soft and chewy to eat which can not be done using any other icing.
- If you keep them in the refrigerator, they can last for days.
Cons of Fondant Cake:
- Fondant cakes are very sweet, and since it is mostly sugar, you can’t escape this part.
- Fondant cakes are heavier than cream cakes.
- At times, artificial flavour & smell can overpower the cake.
What is Cream Icing?
Cream is a classic icing which is made from butter, sugar, and cream whipped together. The cream is fluffy, thicker, and has a creamy consistency. It is very easy to add chocolate, vanilla, citrus, and other flavours to cream. It is really easy to make cream and make designs with cream icing. Due to its fluffy texture, it is usually used to make simple yet beautiful designs like rosettes, swirls and so much more.
Pros of Cream Cake:
- It has a very creamy texture which brings out a dulcet flavour.
- Due to its creamy texture, it can be flavoured using natural extracts easily.
- The cream is lightweight which is why it can be spread on cakes easily.
- It is not too sweet, especially varieties like meringue buttercream.
Cons of Cream Cake:
- Cream cakes melt very easily, which is why they need to be kept in a really cool temperature.
- Cream cakes are very delicate, hence one needs to be prudent while transporting them.
- If compared to fondant cakes, there are fewer colour options.
So, when it comes down to choose between fondant cakes and cream cakes, it is nearly impossible to tell which one is a better choice. It’s all about personal preference! No matter which one you choose, a cake is a cake and they are all delicious.
You Might Also Like: